For the last few years, companies have increasingly turned to mobile applications for encouraging workplace access to information i.e. the ability of employees to access and share business information from anywhere. The same mobile technology also renders itself useful to a very critical aspect of running an enterprise, that is ensuring environmental compliance and health and safety (EHS) within the workplace.
Mobile Safety Apps Mitigate Risk
Most companies already recognise the importance of meeting EHS standards, and they are required by law to do so. However, it's not just the industry regulators that they are concerned about; social media savvy customers are more unforgiving than ever before. Industrial accidents, environmental damages, or loss of life can have enormous financial, regulatory, and reputational ramifications for companies. In such a scenario, a safety app that has been specifically designed to ensure safety in the workplace can add immense value to the enterprise.
An excellent example of how mobile applications can mitigate risks is the Platform Train Interface developed by RSK Business Solutions for the U.K Railway Safety and Standards Board (RSSB). In 2014, the RSSB reported that 48 percent of all rail-related fatalities were occurring at the Platform Train Interface (PTI). The paper-based-survey used by the railway staff to evaluate risks at each station was laborious, error prone and demonstrated inconsistencies between operators. The RSSB wanted us to automate this archaic process.
We responded by creating a mobile safety app and an online web solution for the entire PTI risk assessment process. Instead of recording information manually, the risk assessor can now collect, analyse, report and share vital safety information on-site. The mobile application works even in the offline mode where no Internet access is available. Once the user has an internet connection, the risk assessments stored on the mobile device are synced to the central data portal through the web services.
The PTI tool has report generation capabilities that allow the RSSB, and its infrastructure owners, to identify the risks centrally at individual stations and compare risks across locations. The bespoke software development also eradicates data duplication, optimises worker productivity and decreases the reporting time. The virtual insight generated will help the Rail Industry to reduce train accidents and fatalities and ensure the budgets for upgrades are spent at the right locations.
Overall Benefits of a Workplace Safety App
Several factors are driving the popularity of workplace safety apps. In today's fast-paced business world, it's become imperative to access information easily and take quick decisions. Mobile technology is much more affordable and 'smarter' than it was a decade ago. The BYOD trend or bring-your-own-device trend means that more employees are using their mobile devices for work.
But it's the tangible benefits that scores of companies have experienced, that are driving the adoption of workplace safety apps.
Here is how a safety app can help your business -
- Improved productivity: Manual data collection and reporting take away precious work hours of your safety staff. On the other hand, a custom mobile application that automates the process of risk assessment, allows your workforce to stay focused on critical operations.
- Better data quality: If your field staff is currently filling out traditional checklists, taking notes, and sending emails at the end of the day, you are losing out on valuable real-time exchange. A mobile safety app will help you gather superior quality of data and facilitate faster decision making.
- Improve compliance: Your compliance of safety standards will be better when employees have the necessary information at their fingertips. With a safety mobile application, your staff will have easy access to the latest checklists and safety procedures. With everyone carrying at least one mobile device, it becomes that much easier to disseminate information on near misses and corrective measures through the safety mobile app.
- Better collaboration: A mobile safety app facilitates faster communication and better collaboration within the organisation. For instance, the findings of a safety audit can be shared on-site with the plant manager, who can take corrective action quickly. A mobile app can also facilitate team collaborations through a push notification feature.
- Improved employee engagement: A mobile safety app encourages a culture of swift action to concerns identified. When employees see their efforts/ feedback making a direct impact, they are likely to feel empowered and be more engaged. In such a scenario, safety standards are not something that is 'imposed' on them, but rather they feel responsible towards participating actively in the whole process.
- Preventing losses: When faced with a potentially dangerous situation, users can share the information on-line by posting photos, videos, or sending text notifications. Disseminating the warning in real-time can assist in evacuation efforts and minimise damage to property and prevent loss of lives.
Mobile safety applications open the door to an agile consulting workflow, improved coordination, and a more proactive approach to risk management. If you are thinking about a mobile safety app for your business, call us on +44 1732 833111 for setting up a consult. Our team has proven expertise in bespoke, Android, iOS, Hybrid,cross-platform mobile application development.