Developers and designers are constantly looking for ways to incorporate new methods of working to improve the process of web development. While some do not show as much promise as one would expect, there are some that exceed expectations. One such method is Agile Software development that has evolved very consistently over the past 20 years. Through agile development, the developers and managers can focus on providing top quality products to their clients with the help of feedback, iteration, collaboration and adaptability.
To create a better web product at a faster rate, the agile process has helped greatly in providing the fundamental shift in how we deliver products to our users. The traditional waterfall process, for example, could be time consuming and often costly. Here, the four stages, discovery, design, development and deployment, are defined as milestones and there is a clear timeline complete with start and end date. But, when we consider web design adapting agile methodologies, you ideally create the product in small cycles. This allows you to create the product, test it and ship it every couple of weeks, on average. Similarly, agile software development is also carried out the same way, ensuring effective communication looping all members of the team including the client. You can outsource your agile software development services as well.
- What is agile web development?
Agile web development is a term used to define a broad category of methodologies based on the principles stated in the Manifesto for Agile Software Development. This manifesto was put together by a team of professional developers in the year 2001. They highlight methods such as scrum and XP as agile even though they were used way before the manifesto was created. The group of developers joined heads with other developers to understand the value of adaptive planning and collaboration between self-organizing and cross-functional teams. Agile web development promotes flexibility and provides rapid improvement of software solutions in a consistent manner. One other very prominent goal of agile web development is early delivery which can be achieved by streamlining projects and avoiding time-consuming tasks.
The team must participate and meet in person daily as part of stand-up. It might seem like too much of an effort but once everyone agrees on the goals to achieve, going forward, the team saves a lot of time trying to get everyone on the same page.
- Agile web development comprehensive overview
Web development is a lot more than just applications and design. The developers have to tweak features of the website based on the business aspects of the company. Keeping this in mind, a web developer’s job is never ending. Agile web development can help streamline this process.
To understand and adopt agile web development, being fully aware of its benefits is mandatory. There are concrete benefits to using agile web development methodologies in comparison to traditional methods. Here is a concise list of the most important benefits:
1. You get faster feedback: Drafts are meant to be modified. No matter how meticulously you follow a client's brief, there will be iterations. That is inevitable but what you can avoid is spending too much time on this process. Complete tasks in iterations and have them approved instead of working on something for 6 months and then have to redo it.
2. Get used to change: Nothing stays constant in the web development process. Instead of thinking of changes as errors or roadblocks, think of them as an inevitable part of the agile process.
3. Achieve higher productivity for lower costs: By going agile, you can frequently measure productivity that helps manage workloads better, leading to lower costs incurred as overtime is overruled.
4. Customers and employees are happy: Customers are happy with the product by its launch as they have given approvals throughout the process. The employees on the other hand are happy to see progress in a functional form, progressing slowly towards completion. It boosts morale and keeps them dedicated to the project. They are also much more accountable.
- Agile methodology for web development
An agile workflow consists of multiple components:
Daily stand-up: Each team member confirms what they did yesterday, what they are planning to do today and if they have any blocker.
Product Backlog - It provides a visual representation of the team’s progress.
Sprint Backlog - A list of the tasks to accomplish during a sprint chosen by the team from the product backlog.
Scrum Meetings - Brief meetings conducted daily to set the course for the day.
Product Owner: Product owner prioritises the product backlog items.
Scrum Master - Facilitator of scrum meetings in charge of managing communication between team members.
Shippable Increments - Functioning features of the website that can be showcased.
- Your agile future:.
Your company can do wonders with agile methodology. You can innovate your collaborations and processes with agile concepts. Seek ways to better your processes, test them and measure its success keeping in mind what your primary focus is. Decide what you want to accomplish and place the necessary tools needed to work your way to building a successful process and more collaborations
Now that agile web and Software development has been around for close to 2 decades, its concepts come very naturally to younger developers in practise showing promise of leaving behind old methods and intuitively adopting new, much more effective ones. If you are looking for a trusted agile offshore Software Development Company reach out to RSK-BSL. We have been experimenting on agile methodologies and know exactly how to tailor the perfect method for your company. Read about our services here.